About St. Vincent de Paul
The St. Vincent de Paul (SVdP) Society is a world wide organization founded by Frederick Ozanam in Paris, France, in 1833. Ozanam was a 20 year old man inspired by the principles of St. Vincent de Paul in the early 1600's. St. Vincent de Paul vowed his life to serving the poor with humble service.
The St. Vincent de Paul Society work is a quiet, behind the scenes non-profit organization (501 C-3). The work performed by the lay people of the society are referred to as Vincentians. the Vincentians visit and help the sick, poor, and needy with counseling, vouchers and spiritual guidance. Monies geneated by the store operations go toward medical, housing, clothing, personal needs and organizations serving our common goal.
ST. VINCENT DE PAUL STORES OF WASHINGTON COUNTY
In Washington County, Wisconsin, the first St. Vincent de Paul conference was started by Msgr. Edward Stehling and ten laymen from Holy Angel's parish of West end in 1954. The Holy Angel's conference included Holy Angel's, St. Francis Cabrini and St. Mary's of West Bend. In addition St. Michael's of Kewaskum, St. Killian's of Hartford, St. Boniface of Germantown and Holy Trinity of Newburg formed conferences. These conferences are still in place today serving their local communities.
The Washington County Particular Council was formed in 1956. The original St. Vincent de Paul store was opened in 1960 at 1232 North Main Street in Barton. In 1963 the Council purchased the old bowling alley located at 508 North Main Street in West Bend. The bowling alley became the new location for St. Vincent de Paul store. In 1982 the Council expanded its operation by purchasing the former Bau's Market located at 33 North Main Street in Hartford. In January of 1983 the second store was opened having two stores serving the county. In 1991 the Council purchased land on the corner of River Road and Washington Street in West Bend. This purchase opened the way to building a new facility/store at the present address of 420 North River Road. The store opened December 9, 1991. Mid 1997 an addition was added to the West Bend building. In September, 2001, the Council purchased the Piggly Wiggly grocery store at 445 E. Washington Street in Slinger. This store opened May 9, 2002, adding a third store to the county operation.